Thursday, January 27

In the Beginning

So I've been thinking about starting a blog for awhile and now that I'm living far away from my friends and family in the great -and warmer- city of Phoenix, it seems like a great time! For those of you who don't know my journey to Oklahoma, I'll start from the beginning...
Last summer, I got the opportunity to serve at a camp called Centrifuge for the summer (amazing experience!) and taught a class for middle and high school girls in the afternoons. We talked about sacrifice and girl's issues and boys and relationships... And I loved it! Every week, I saw God work in the lives of the girls and I was so humbled to be a part of it. So thats basically when I realized that I was called to work with teenage girls.
Fast forward a little... When I was coming to the end of student teaching, I started looking for and praying about positions working with girls and I came across Henderson Hills Baptist Church in Edmond (thanks Skyler!). I contacted the girl's ministry director, Kelly, and just a few months later, I was hired as the middle school girl's intern! I graduated on December 16th, packed up my stuff, and officially moved on January 10th.

I love love love my job. God is soooo good! Basically, I get to hang out with really awesome 6th-8th grade girls and build relationships with them. And help plan events and do whatever else they tell me to do. :) It's fantastic. I actually already got to go on a missions trip with the middle school students! The first weekend I was here, we went to a church in Oklahoma City and we were able to help them out by painting, landscaping, and prayer walking/hanging up flyers. It was so much fun and I got to know about 60 of the students right away. I'm so excited about whats to come- excited to get to know more students, excited to build deep relationships with them, and excited to see what God is going to do in their lives!

Other than all of that, I've been busy trying to find a second job. I interviewed at Childtime a couple of days ago and was called yesterday about "moving forward with the application." I don't think thats where I'm supposed to be though. I'm just not feeling at peace about it. So... I'm still praying and looking. I have to keep reminding myself that God has it figured out and to leave it in His control. So much easier said than done!

Well, its late here and I planned on going to bed awhile ago- but then got too excited about my new blog. lol
So finally, goodnight!

"He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less."
John 3:30
:)

1 comment:

  1. Whoo hooo! I'm you're first follower. This is so exciting to read rachel! I'm praying for you and the ministry where the Lord is using you. I'm so happy that you're getting to build relationships with students long-term, because I've seen your passion for them on a weekly basis. So glad that I got to be apart of so many great things about this summer! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete